Shop by Category
What is Biliary Dyskinesia or Low-Functioning Gallbladder
Also called acalculous gallbladder disease means a problem with the gallbladder in the absense of gallstones. You might also call it functional gallbladder disorder or impaired gallbladder emptying.
Symptoms of Biliary Dyskinesia
- right upper abdominal pain in the gallbladder area without stones
- a low ejection of bile on a HIDA scan (33-42%)
- gas, bloating, burping, nausea and all other symptoms of any gallbladder disease.
- any gallbladder symptoms may accompany this problem as it results in lack of concentrated bile from the gallbladder to digest fats.
Causes of a Low-Functioning Gallbladder
Some causes may be chronic inflammation, stress, a problem with the smooth muscles of the gallbladder or the muscle of the Sphincter of Oddi being too tight. Also, research shows that hypothyroidism contributes to biliary dyskinesia.
Treatment of Biliary Dyskinesia
- Checking thyroid function with a functional doctor and getting treatment for thyroid, if called for may help to increase gallbladder functioning.
- Reducing stress including muscle relaxants if warranted
- Coffee Enemas (see Quick Links) for stimulating the vagus nerve
- Drinking 1-2 cups of coffee daily is shown to increase gallbladder contraction and CCK release.1.
- Turmeric (curcumin) increases gallbladder production and release.
- Reduction of stress through stress management and herbal relaxantants such as Tranquinol.
- Biliven (Gallbladder Complex) which help may to relax the neck of the gallbladder allowing the bile to be released
- The 30 Day Gallbladder Solution for thinning and moving the bile, supporting digestion and biliary flow, reducing pain or discomfort and a gallbladder-friendly dietary menu to follow.
If this is your diagnosis, follow the link below to read about the connection between hypothyroidism and gallbladder disease.
See our Biliary Dyskinesia Kit for support with a low functioning gallbladder. Note that if you have pain with this condition, start with the 30 Day Gallbladder Solution and use the Biliary Dyskinesia Kit for continuing maintenance.
"Further, gallbladder emptying assessed by CCK-cholescintigraphy may not be a sensitive test that predicts a benefit from cholecystectomy. Certainly cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal) for dyspeptic complaints of gassiness,bloating, indigestion and fatty food intolerance is disappointing. Despite the Rome III consensus, the literature does not yet support cholecystectomy being done routinely for biliary dyspepsia."2.
Curcumin is easily absorbed through the digestive tract and is eliminated through the bile ducts. Curcumin passes through the liver, increasing the output of bile, and
frequently, empyting of the gallbladder. It's action is both choleretic and cholagogue. (This doctor used curcumin in cases of chronic gallbladder disease.)
1.Coffee stimulation of cholecystokinin release and gallbladder contraction in humans.B R Douglas,J B Jansen,R T Tham, and C B Lamers,The American Society for Clinical Nutrition, September 1990 vol. 52 no. 3 553-556
2.Biliary Dyspepsia: Functional Gallbladder and Sphincter of Oddi Disorders, Meena Mathivanan, Liisa Meddings and Eldon A. Shaffer- 2013 - cdn.intechopen.com
3.Turmeric (curcumin)in Biliary Diseases, Albert Oppenheimer,The Lancet, Volume 229, Issue 5924, 13 March 1937, Pages 619–621